Rights In Action Incorporated (RIA) is an independent advocacy agency funded under the National Disability Advocacy Program (NDAP).
The NDAP provides people with disability access to advocacy that promotes, protects their human rights and community participation.
RIA is guided by the principles and objectives of key legislation including but not limited to the United Nations Convention of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
RIA is specifically funded to provide:
• Individual advocacy: uphold the rights of persons with disability and assisting people with NDIS planning and internal reviews (including self-advocacy & information and referral to local service)
• Systemic advocacy: addressing barriers and discrimination, advocating for change to legislation, policy and practices.
• Disability Royal Commission advocacy: Assisting people with disability who have experience violence, abuse, neglect or exploitation to write their submission who live in Atherton, Babinda, Cairns – North, Cairns – South, Kuranda, Malanda – Yungaburra, Tablelands and Yarrabah. Also finding communication supports such as interpreters, and access supports such as legal, financial services and counselling.
• National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) Appeals: addressing issues that arise with the NDIS and supporting people who seek external review of NDIA decisions through the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.
• Community Capacity Building: provides information and support to those people, groups and agencies who share RIA’s vision for people with a disability and who are involved in, or have the potential to become involved in, supporting people with disabilities through informal advocacy.
We acknowledge our funding from the Australian Government Department of Social Services; and State Government Department of Communities, Disability Services and Seniors, and Queensland Health.
For more information on Human Rights click on the link
For more information on the Royal Commission click on the link
“Thanks for being professional to work with – your expertise in QCAT and NDIS has made this a smooth transition for our client”
Senior Housing Service Officer
Mareeba Community Housing Company
Rights in Action wish to advise that we are unable to accept referrals for advocacy until further notice and apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
You have the option to call QLD Disability Advocacy Pathways on 1800 130 582 which is a statewide centralized phone advice and referral service to support all people with a disability.
Alternatively, you can contact specialist individual advocacy services who also provide individual advocacy services to priority cohorts.
RIA thank you for your patience and understanding
First Nations people with disability
Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Disability Network of Queensland
(hosted by ADA Australia)
Phone: 1800 718 969
People from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
Amparo Advocacy Inc.
Phone: (07) 3354 4900
Children and younger people with disability (0-18 years)
Queensland Advocacy for Inclusion
Phone: 1300 130 582
CALL US 07 4031 7377
Ground Floor, Professional House, 88 Abbott Street Cairns
Monday to Friday 9.00am – 4.30pm