Rights In Action Incorporated (RIA) is an independent advocacy agency funded under the National Disability Advocacy Program (NDAP).
The NDAP provides people with disability access to advocacy that promotes, protects their human rights and community participation.
RIA is guided by the principles and objectives of key legislation including but not limited to the United Nations Convention of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
RIA is specifically funded to provide:
• Individual advocacy: uphold the rights of persons with disability and assisting people with NDIS planning and internal reviews (including self-advocacy & information and referral to local service)
• Systemic advocacy: addressing barriers and discrimination, advocating for change to legislation, policy and practices.
• Disability Royal Commission advocacy: Assisting people with disability who have experience violence, abuse, neglect or exploitation to write their submission who live in Atherton, Babinda, Cairns – North, Cairns – South, Kuranda, Malanda – Yungaburra, Tablelands and Yarrabah. Also finding communication supports such as interpreters, and access supports such as legal, financial services and counselling.
• National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) Appeals: addressing issues that arise with the NDIS and supporting people who seek external review of NDIA decisions through the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.
• Community Capacity Building: provides information and support to those people, groups and agencies who share RIA’s vision for people with a disability and who are involved in, or have the potential to become involved in, supporting people with disabilities through informal advocacy.
We acknowledge our funding from the Australian Government Department of Social Services; and State Government Department of Communities, Disability Services and Seniors, and Queensland Health.
Your donation makes a real difference and goes directly towards providing services for the disadvantaged. All donations over $2 are tax deductible.
For more information on Human Rights click on the link
For more information on the Royal Commission click on the link
“Thanks for being professional to work with – your expertise in QCAT and NDIS has made this a smooth transition for our client”
Senior Housing Service Officer
Mareeba Community Housing Company
CALL US 07 4031 7377
Rights In Action Incorporated (RIA) is a organisation formed in August 2001 to provide independent advocacy
for people with disabilities.
Help Support Us
RIA welcomes your membership, donations and bequests to help us maintain our organisations commitment to improving the lives of people with disabilities.LEARN MORE
Self Advocacy Info
Self-Advocacy is when you speak for yourself. It is about understanding your rights and responsibilities. You may still seek help to find out information to make choices for yourself.
Ground Floor, Professional House, 88 Abbott Street Cairns
Monday to Friday 9.00am – 4.30pm