Self-Advocacy is when you speak for yourself.
It is about understanding your rights.
You may still seek help to find out information or make decision, but you do it yourself.
There is some information to help you .
What do I need to know?
Some of the specific skills you might find useful include: –
- Being assertive
- Making a phone call
- Writing a letter
- Sending an email
- Making a complaint
- Preparing for a meeting
What skills do I need?
Other helpful skills you might like to work on include: –
- Social skills
- Anger management
- Relaxation Stress management
- Assertiveness training
- Increasing self-awareness
- Decision- making, goal- setting skills
- Communication and relationship skills
What about support from others?
You can ask people around you to help develop these skills by: –
- Providing opportunities for you to learn and practice
- Sharing information about these skills with you
- Supporting your self-advocacy and providing feedback